PNN – With the limited reopening of the Rafah crossing, the process of returning Palestinians who had been stranded outside the Gaza Strip for more than two years has resumed.
Tears and smiles mingled in the courtyard of Nasser Hospital in the city of Khan Yunis as families waited for buses to bring their loved ones back after months, even years, of absence. Among them, “Fida Imran” rested in the arms of her father, mother, and sisters after a long period of treatment outside Gaza; a moment that, according to her, made her forget all the pain of the journey and distance.
He had previously stressed in a media interview that although medical services are available outside Gaza, nothing can replace the feeling of returning home and being with family. According to him, the wait for this moment has been long and there is nowhere better than Gaza.
The Rafah crossing was partially reopened on February 2nd, under severe restrictions. The crossing had been closed since May 2024, following the Israeli military operation in the city of Rafah and its takeover of the Palestinian part. Now, although traffic has resumed, the process of passenger departure and arrival is still accompanied by extensive restrictions.
According to published data, about 80,000 Palestinians outside Gaza have registered to return. This figure comes at a time when some Israeli officials have repeatedly spoken of plans to evacuate the population of Gaza in recent months. Observers believe that the Palestinians’ insistence on return has challenged the political calculations of these plans.
“Tahani Imran,” another returnee, describes being away from Gaza as a constant torment and says that she felt a sense of peace upon arriving in the region. She emphasized: We were born here and we will stay here. However, he speaks of the difficult crossing, stressing that he faced restrictions and lengthy interrogations during his return.
In the same hospital compound, Hossam al-Mansi, a young man who was forced to leave Gaza due to injuries sustained in the war, hugged his children and described his return as an indescribable joy. He says he preferred to return to Gaza before completing his treatment because, despite all the hardships, his homeland is the only place he feels he belongs.
Government sources in Gaza have accused the occupation regime of not adhering to the quotas set for passenger crossings. According to the government information office, only 811 out of approximately 2,800 passengers were able to cross the border between February 2 and 15, a figure that represents about 29 percent of the agreed-upon number.
At the same time, Palestinian estimates indicate that more than 22,000 sick and injured people need to leave Gaza for treatment, while the region’s health system is facing widespread collapse.
The war, which began on October 7, 2023, has killed more than 72,000 Palestinians, injured more than 171,000, and destroyed much of Gaza’s civilian infrastructure. However, for many Palestinians, returning home—even amidst the ruins—is cheaper than living in exile; a clear message that staying in the land remains their first choice.

